Henry Alfred Harrop (1841 – 1918)

Henry Alfred Harrop was born on 5 Feb 1841 in Mexborough, Yorkshire, England. He was christened on 28 Feb 1841 in Mexborough, Yorkshire, England. He died in Jan 1918 in Chandler, Maricopa, Arizona, United States. He was buried in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, United States.

Henry married Sara, a Paiute Indian girl, who was raised by Richard Benson and Phoebe Florence Forrester in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States. The first record of Sara, “The Indian Girl,” was when Indians came to the Benson’s door and wanted to trade the Indian baby (Sara) for a blanket, which the Bensons did. This trade occurred on 15 Sept 1853. It was estimated that Sara was about three years old at the time.  Sara was legally indentured to the Benson’s until she would be 18 years old. Sara Married Henry Alfred Harrop before she turned 18. She died in 1881 in Walker, Navajo, Arizona giving birth to twins and is buried in Snowflake, Navajo, Arizona, United States.

Children of Henry Alfred Harrop and Sara were as follows:

  1. Sarah Elizabeth Harrop, born 14 Sep 1867 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States; died 6 Oct 1929 in Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona, United States. She married Abt 1883 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States Joshua James Sweat, born 27 Jun 1855 in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States; died 3 Aug 1931 in Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada, United States, son of Joshua Baldwin ( Younger ) Sweat and Hannah Hawes.
  2. Emily Maria Harrop, born 22 Jun 1869 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States; died Oct 1896 in Lehi, Maricopa, Arizona, United States; buried in Salt River Reservation, Maricopa, Arizona, United States. She married Incarnacion Valenzuela, born 16 Oct 1851 in Caborca, Sonora, Mexico; died 17 Nov 1924 in San Tan, Gila River Reservation, Pinal, Arizona; buried 20 Nov 1924 in Salt River Reservation, Maricopa, Arizona, United States, son of Nicholas Sanriquez Valenzuela and Guadalupe Alcaldo.
  3. Alfred Henry Harrop born 14 Mar 1871 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States; died 9 Mar 1939. He married (1) Ruth (—), born 9 Sep 1882 in Parowan, Iron, Utah; died 15 Sep 1972 in Ajo, Pima, Arizona; (2) abt 1892 in Las Lumas, New Mexico Maria Del Refugio Vargas, born abt 1873 in Mexico, daughter of Tomaso Aguallo Vda de Vargas.
  4. Erma Lauretta Harrop, born 18 Sep 1872 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States. She married on 5 Jul 1889 William Morgan.
  5. Phoebe Lorraine Harrop, born 3 Aug 1873 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States; died 19 Mar 1962 in Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona, United States; buried Phoenix, Arizona in Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona, United States. She married on 9 May 1892 in Lehi, Maricopa, Arizona, United States, divorced Nephi James Black, born 3 Feb 1871 in Kanosh, Millard, Utah, United States; died 18 Mar 1959 in Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada, United States; buried 20 Mar 1959 in Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada, United States, son of George Black and Susannah Jacaway.
  6. Selena Lizette Harrop, born 7 Aug 1876 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States; died 7 Aug 1965 in San Diego, California, United States; buried 10 Aug 1965 in San Diego, California, United States. She married on 22 Jun 1895 in Lehi, Maricopa, Arizona, United States Lagoro Garcia.
  7. Agnes Magdalene Harrop, born 15 Oct 1878 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States. She married Frank Passey, born Abt 1874 in Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States.
  8. Baby Boy (Twins) Harrop, born Abt 1881 in Walker, Navajo, Arizona; died Abt 1881 at childbirth in Walker, Navajo, Arizona. Buried with their mother in Snowflake, Arizona

Henry also married Sarah Littlefield (Lamanite) dead 7 Mar 1879 in LDS St George Temple. Sara Harrop stood in as a proxy

Henry also married Livara Jarvis in 1884 in Silver Creek, Navajo, Arizona, United States. There is no evidence they ever co-inhabited. The marriage certificate is the only evidence of this marriage.

Henry also married Cynthia Erminnie Harmon, daughter of Norton (Edward) Harmon and Thankful Loretta Tanner, on 2 Nov 1898 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, United States. Cynthia was born on 19 May 1866 in Coalville, Summit, Utah, United States. She was christened on 20 Feb 1872 in Kaysville, Davis, Utah, United States. She died on 2 Nov 1905 in Colonia Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico. She was buried on 5 Nov 1905 in Colonia Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico.

The Early Years

As a young man, Henry grew up in   Mexborough, Yorkshire, England.   Mexborough is a town in the Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England.It lies on the north bank of the River Don. The town is centered on the north eastern dyke know as the Roman Ridge, which is thought to have been constructed by the Brigantian tribes in the 1st century as a defense against the Roman invasion of Britain.The earliest know written reference to Mexborough (Mechesburg) is found in the Domesday Book of 1086 which states, that prior to the Norman conquest of England, the area had been controlled by Saxon lords. Although there are many pre 1800 structures still standing, the most notable is the St. Johns Baptist Church of England which was built in the 12th century, most were built in the 1800s.I have included illustrations of various buildings that were in existence, and maybe even familiar to Henry, as he was growing up. There is a present day market with over 90 stalls located in the middle of town that offers a wide range produce.This markets beginnings can be traced back 800 years.Henrys ancestors, who all lived in Mexbrough, can be traced back to the fifteen hundreds.It may very well be that his family was part of the earliest settlers. From these early days the population has grown to approximately 15,000 in 2008.Throughout the 18th, 19th, and most of the 20th century, the towns economy was based on coal mining, quarrying, brickworks, and the production of ceramics.Following the demise of the coal mining industry in the 1990s, Mexbrough has been struggling to re-define itself.

Nothing is known about Henry or his parents as he was growing up in Mexbrough. His father is listed as a labourer on his birth certificate.Records show that Henry became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ ofLatter Day Saints (Mormon) church, most likely when he was in his early twenties. It was after this conversion he joined the many immigrants going to the United States and on to Salt Lake City, Utah. The first official record of Henry was his listing on the passenger ship Monarch of the Sea which sailed from Liverpool England on the April 28, 1864, at the age of 23 bound for the New York City. Henrys mother passed away one year after he sailed for the United States (Figure 2).It is not known if he had any further contact with his Mexborough family once he arrived in the United states.

Coming to America
Henry Harrop began his immigration to the United States from Liverpool England. It was here that he boarded the sailing ship Monarch of the Sea on April 28, 1864, at the age of 23.He arrived in New York City on June 3, 1864, 35 days later. No evidence can be found that Henry kept a journal of his ocean voyage.Many others did keep journals and excerpts from their journals have been included to illustrate what the voyage was like.They are as follows:
DEPARTURE. — We had the pleasure of clearing the ship Monarch of the Sea (Captain Kirkaldy) for the port of New York, on Tuesday, the 26th instant.This ship was chartered to sail on the 23rd instant; but, owing to unavoidable detention in loading and unloading the cargo, through having to change her berth in the dock, she could not be got ready for clearing before Tuesday.She did not sail until the morning of Thursday, the 28th instant.This further delay was attributable to the difficulty in obtaining sailors.So many ships having been prevented form reaching the port by the strong easterly winds which have lately prevailed, and the bounty offered by the American navy inducing so many sailors to enter into their service, there has been a great scarcity of that class of men, of late, in this port.This goodly ship has sailed with 973 souls of the Saints on board, nearly every one of whom have paid their way through to Wyoming (Wyoming Nebraska).This is the largest company of Saints, we believe, which has ever sailed from the shores of Europe for America.Though they have had some inconveniences to endure, through the ship not being completely prepared to receive them at the time they were advised to come forward, good feelings and good order were noticeable in their midst, and they formed no exception, in this respect, to the many companies of Saints which have left these shores for Zion. (MS, 26:19 (May 7, 1864), pp.298-99)
Ove Christian Oveson writes “We sat in the harbor to 28 of April 1864.There was 973 emigrants on board and had plenty rum.We was pulled out of the harbor by a steamer into the open sea.There was 2 man that jumped overboard, and was drown. Rummer said they was robbers.There was search for outlaws on the ship.”
H. N. Hansen writes “One of the great difficulties that soon presented itself to us was that the ship was altogether incapable to cook for so large a crowd of passengers, and that the men in charge of the kitchen was inexperienced hands who were thus employed, working their passage.Rations was divided out consisting in oatmeal, rice, peas and meat and perhaps a few other articles.I think a few shrunken potatoes was given once or twice and coffee and tea was in like manner distributed.Each family was to bring their kettle with what they wanted boiled to the kitchen door and was to have it cooked in their turn, but when it was found that the kitchen was entirely inadequate this rule was not observed.The stronger crowded their dish to the front, while that belonging to the weaker and more modest ones was left behind.It was many days that many got no cooking done at all, but had to satisfy their cravings by gnawing the hardtacks of which we had plenty. This condition of affairs soon led to unpleasantness, to quarrels and hard feelings and who can blame them, even saints do not want to starve nor see their little ones cry for something to eat.Our condition was most deplorable.The meat we got could be smelled from one end of the vessel to the other when the barrels were opened, it was almost a wonder that it did not explode the same before hand, so strong as it was.When we did happen to get our oatmeal peas or rice cooked as a rule it was not fit to eat being scorched, it not being tended to as the men had not the experience and so many vessels to look after, not the time.For those who had sickness in the family this condition of course was very trying as nothing could be had such as would tempt the appetite of the afflicted one.And we had not been aboard many days before sickness made its inroad into many families. Our family did not escape.In a few days from the day of sailing my oldest brother took sick and he died in about a week and my youngest brother again in about a week after him.It soon became a common thing to have several deaths a day. He later states “Having two brothers thus buried in the great deep the word of God which says, that The sea shall give up the dead which are in it, is not without significance and commit to me.”
John (Johan) Johanssen provides a young persons perspective. Great many were seasick so they could neither cook nor eat.Men were appointed to stand guard at night to see that everything were in order, that no lights were left burning to set fire to anything, or anything else out of the order and if so, to report to the proper authorities. While I was only a boy of 15 years of age, they considered me trusty and capable of taking my turn in standing guard which I did without a murmur.There were many more in the company of my age and older, that were not asked to do any work of the kind.There were much sickness among the people.67 died and dumped into the sea.The way it was done was to sew them up tight in burlap or canvas, then fasten some iron to their feet, then lay them on a plank over the edge of the ship, lift up the end of the plank on deck until it got so deep they would slide into the ocean.My sister, Inger (Ingri Johanssen) , was very sick for a while so we thought we would lose her but she recovered again.The cause of some of the sickness was bad water, as we only had what was put up in barrels and it became very foul and unhealthy.We were compelled to do our washing and cooking in seawater from the ocean.
Andrew Christian Nielson recalls Measles broke out among the children and we buried 50 in the sea and one old Scotsmen.Otherwise, everything went well though I must mention we had a most cruel and wicked set of sailors that I have ever seen in my life and they caused us some trouble, but soon after that ship went to the bottom of the Atlantic and I suppose they deserved it.

Nils C. Flygare describes the arrival in New York and travel to Wyoming, Nebraska. We had very fair sailing and casted anchor in New York Harbor on the 2nd day of June, having made the voyage in 36 days.We passed the quarantine examination all right and were landed in the Castle Garden on the 3rd of June 1864.

  • Note 1: “The Monarch of the Sea” sank just off Liverpool, England in 1865 taking with it 1,000 immigrant lives.
  • Note 2: The number, and cause, of children dying on the crossing varies between passengers accounts.
  • Note 3: The fee immigrates paid covered the crossing on the Monarch of the Sea and subsequent travel to Wyoming, Nebraska, The point of departure for wagon trains going to Salt Lake City, They had to pay, or earn their way, from Wyoming, Nebraska to Salt Lake City.

Crossing the Plains

Henry Harrop departed for Salt Lake in 1864 from the now forgotten tent community of Wyoming, Nebraska, The departure point had been moved from Florence Nebraska a year earlier. Florence, originally called Winter Quarters, was where Mormon immigrants originally departed from to go West. The principal reasons for the Mormons’ switch from Florence to Wyoming seems to have been because emigrants from the east could take trains directly to St. Joseph, Missouri, then take an approximately 94-mile riverboat ride to the community of Wyoming. The the cutoff trail shortened the distance from the Missouri River to the area of Fort Kearny by about 50 miles. The cutoff ran 169 miles directly west to Fort Kearny on the Oregon Trail, where the Mormons could either continue on the Oregon Trail or cross the Platte River. Each wagon was pulled by four yoke of oxen or mules and carried about 1,000 pounds of supplies.
The community of Wyoming, founded as a river port in 1855, was 45 miles south of Florence (Winter Quarters) and 7 miles north of Nebraska City. The Mormons favored it over Florence because it provided more open area for their staging ground and was well removed from the rough elements of Nebraska City and other lures that might have caused emigrants to not go west. Twenty-two organized Mormon emigrant companies left Wyoming Nebraska during its three-year service (1864-1866). It is estimated that the companies totaled about 6,500 emigrants.

Wagons going to Oregon, California, and Utah shared the same trail until they reached the continental divide at South Pass Wyoming. The trip from Wyoming, Nebraska to Salt Lake City Utah was 1,100 miles.
South Pass is perhaps the most significant transportation-gateway through the Rocky Mountains. Indians, mountain men, Oregon Trail emigrants, Pony Express riders, and miners all recognized the value of this passageway straddling the Continental Divide. Bounded by the Wind River Range on the north and the Antilope Hills on the south, the pass offered overland travelers a broad, relatively level corridor between the Atlantic and Pacific watersheds.
At South Pass the trail separates and is called “The parting of the ways.” Parting of the Ways marked the point where parties headed to California and those headed to Oregon parted ways. In fact, if your destination was either California or Oregon, either branch would serve you well. Those in need of supplies or worried about the condition of their members or livestock usually took the left fork, towards Fort Bridger. Since this was also the only route to Utah, Mormon parties always took the road to the left. But California-bound emigrants could and often did travel with their Oregon-bound friends as far as the middle of Idaho. Nonetheless, Parting of the Ways did mark a spot where many emigrants bid a tearful farewell to friends they would probably never see again.
Nils C. Flygare, a companion of Henry Harrop, relates his experience as “We left New York the same day we landed and on the steamer St. John went up the Hudson River to Albany, a beautiful trip. It looked as though we had come to the promised land indeed, but this was not to be kept up, for we had yet to pass through the great American desert. From Albany we went by rail via Rochester, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, and Quineey to St. Joseph on the Missouri River. We took steamer at St. Joseph for Wyoming, Nebraska where we arrived on the 13th of June. Wyoming was a new outfitting place for our people, heretofore Florence north of Omaha had been the place, but now we were about 40 miles south of Omaha in a wilderness. Here we were introduced to western civilization, such as cowboys, bullwackers, prarie schooners, lassos, and many other western accomplishments. The Utah boys who had come down to the river with teams, to bring up the emigrants, did not impress us with much favor as favorable. They had of course laid for months on the plains were dust, rain and sunshine had taken the shine off them pretty well so they looked rough and ready. But on nearer acquaintance we found that beneath the torn and tattered apparel beat a kind and willing heart. Immediately on our arrival at Wyoming we received provisions from the church agent, consisting of flour, pork, dried apples, rice, sugar and also, soap for washing. We had now to learn the art of cooking in the wilderness, without stove or fireplace and I am satisfied from my own experience that most of us never did learn it, while traveling across the plains. We laid in camp until the 4th of July waiting for our outfit of oxen and wagons to bring us to Salt lake City. While laying here waiting a young girl from Gothenburge got drowned in the Missouri River and another young girl died from injuries received on the railroad. Our company consisted of 58 wagons with 4 yoke of cattle to each wagon. W. (William) B. Preston was captain of the company. It was a very weary and long journey. Our company arrived in Salt Lake City on the 15th of September a very sorry looking lot after such a long and weary journey of over one thousand miles.”
Andrew Christian Nielson, another companion of Henry, said: “I should wish very much if I could show the young generation now living some of the scenes of that trip. Think of a condition here one morning in July after a tremendous struggle in getting those wild animals yoked up and hitched to the wagon, three to six yoke to each wagon, loaded with goods from 3500 to 8000 pounds on each wagon. Then think of the teamsters just as wild and ignorant about their business as the oxen. And then most of them could not understand a word of English so the captain hollering and commanding only caused confusion.”
Henry arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in the fall of 1864.


The transcontinental railroad reached Utah May 10, 1869, and from that time on emigrants could ride the rails all the way to Zion. From these two railheads, at Laramie and Benton, Mormon emigrants would have picked up the Overland-
Bridger Pass Trail, followed it to Fort Bridger and then taken the Mormon Trail into Utah.

The Parowan Experience

Soon after Henry arrived in the Salt Lake Valley he was sent to live in Parowan, Utah. Parowan was the first southern Utah settlement and the count seat of Iron County.Parowan was founded on 13 January 1851.  Parley P. Pratt, a Mormon Apostle, and members of his exploring party discovered the Valley and nearby deposits of iron ore. Brigham Young called for the establishment of settlements in the area to produce much-needed iron implements for the pioneer state.

In 1861 construction was begun on a large church building to stand in the center of the public square. The pioneers envisioned a building of three stories, built from the abundant yellow sandstone and massive timbers in nearby canyons. Known as the “Old Rock Church,” the building was completed in 1867 and served as a place of worship, town council hall, school building, social hall, and tourist camp. As a young man, Henry Harrop helped build the rock church.
Parowan has been called the “Mother Town of the Southwest” because of the many pioneers who left from there to start other communities in southernUtah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, and even Oregon and Wyoming.
On 23 November, 1866, Henry Married Sara, an Indian Girl, when she was 16 years old. Iron County records show that on the 26th day of September, 1853, when Sara, about three years old, she was indentured to Richard Benson of Parowan until she attained the age of 18. According to book where Richard Benson kept all important dates, he had the date of September 15, 1853, “When he bought a little Indian girl for a blanket, which the Indian mother was very glad to get.” Richard and Phoebe Benson raised the Indian girl until she married Henry Harrop in 1866, which relieved her from the indenture.

Not much is known about Henry and Sara when they lived in Parowan. Henry made his living breeding and racing horses. There is one mention of henry in “Heart Throbs of the West” by Kate B. Carter. She writes: “On New Year’s day, 1870, the men were called out of a dance as the alarm was given that the Navajos had rounded up about 500 head of horses. Among the men who started up Parowan Canyon were the following: Capt. Edward Dalton, Sydney Burton, Horace Smith, Samuel Orton, Peter Wimmer, Johnathan Prethro, Hugh L. Adams, Charles Adams, James J. Adams, Ed Clark, Ed Ward, Nels Holingshead, “Wm. C. Mitchell, Henry Harrop, Oscar Lyman, Hy Paramore, Bill Lister, John Butler, Heber Benson, Tom Butler, Alien Miller and Tom Yardley. There was so much snow in Parowan Canyon that after attempting to traverse it, they ascended Little Creek Canyon. The men did not overtake the Indians, because of the deep snow. They went over to the East Fork of the Sevier River, with no success, so Captain Dalton gave the order to go home. Some of the men wanted to proceed further, but their captain was impressed to go home and all the men followed him. It was learned from scouting parties that they had avoided annihilation from hordes of ambushed Redmen.”

Luella Adams Dalto



Petroglyph, or rock engraving


While Henry and Sara were in the Parowan area, LDS Church records show that they were endowed and sealed to each other in the St. George, Utah Temple on 22 February 1877.  LDS Church records also show that Henry Harrop was sealed to Sarah Littlefield, who was deceased, in the St. George, Utah Temple. Sara Harrop stood in as a proxy for Sarah Littlefield. Speaking with staff members in the Salt Lake City Family History Center, they had not experienced this type of ordinance and therefore could not explain it. A record of this sealing can be found in the “special records” department in the Salt Lake Family History Center (FHL Film #170597)
After 16 years living in Parowan, Henry and Sara, along with seven children left for Taylor, Arizona. At the time of the departure, Sara was pregnant with twin boys.

The Taylor, Arizona Experience

Henry, Sara, and children arrived in Walker (Now known as Taylor), Arizona in 1880.Shortly after arriving, Sara died of complications while giving birth to twin boys. She, and the two twins, was buried in the Snowflake, Apache, Arizona graveyard. According to Phoebe Lorraine Harrop Black, as told to her Daughter Pearl Black Parker, not being in a position to care for the children, Henry leaves the children with various LDS families, until such time he is able to care for them.
On September 23, 1884, Henry marries Livara Jarvis at Silver Creek, Apache, Arizona,


In a letter dated September 5, 1965, from Myra V. Rice, Daughter of Emily Marie Harrop, to Margaret Hunter, she writes: “It was interesting to you found the place where our little old grandpa was laid away. He wasn’t very big but was as I remember him full of life even at his age. When I would play a tune for him on the piano he would dance all around the room doing fancy steps and as light on his feet as a feather. She goes on to say: We never did know the location of the homestead near Chandler of grandpa. He would tell us about it but of course we didn’t pay too much attention, so now it would be hard to find it. The town has grown so also the farming district.

On 2 November, 1898, Henry marries Cynthia Erminnie Harmon Brady in Lehi, Maricopa, Arizona.


In 1901 Erminnie, and her children from a previsous marriage, transfer into the LDS Lehi Papago Indian Ward.Erminnies mother Lorreta Thankful Tanner is also listed as a member of the Papago Ward.
On September 1901, Minnie Brady Harrop sells deed to 8 acres located in Lehi, Maricopa County, Arizona for $1.00. (Arizona Republic)
On 12 Nov 1901, Henry Harrop was before the Lehi Arizona Justice of the Peace summoned to appear for not sending the Brady children to school. According to section 101, he is their guardian.

The Lehi Arizona Settlement and Fort Utah

The completion of the transcontinental railroad in 1869 in Utah increased pressure for expansion beyond Utah. Easier transportation had augmented Utah’s population, thus reducing the amount of available arable land. Consequently, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officials asked Daniel Webster Jones to lead a group to settle in Arizona.
Jones was born 26 August 1830 in Booneslick, Howard County, Missouri. Orphaned at the age of 12, he joined a group of volunteers to fight in the Mexican-American War in 1847. Following the war, he remained in Mexico for a number of years, learning Spanish, and while taking “part in many ways in the wild, reckless life that was common in that land,” still he longed for something. When a sheepherding expedition bound for California departed in 1850, he left with them. While camped along the Green River in 1850, his pistol went off in his holster, piercing through fourteen inches of his groin and thigh. His companions left him, lame, but alive, with a Mormon settlement in Provo, Utah. There, he studied Mormon doctrine and was baptized into the LDS church by Isaac Morley in 1851. Because of his knowledge of the Spanish language, Brigham Young In 1874 commissioned Jones to translate selections from The Book of Mormon into Spanish, in preparation for a missionary expedition into Mexico
Jones had explored parts of Arizona and Mexico in 1875-76, while he had been on a mission to the native people in the Valley. Jones agreed to lead the colony, but requested families that had many children and were poor, so they would not be able to resettle elsewhere easily. The Jones, Turley, Rogers, Steele, Biggs, McRae, Williams, and Merrill families gathered for their journey at St. George, Utah. They traveled in wagons for three months, and arrived in Lehi (just north of Mesa) in March of 1877. The route they took forced them to leave heavy equipment, such as stoves, sewing machines and plows, along the way.
The Lehi residents lived the United Order: that is, they shared the supplies and food raised. Their first building was a brush shed used as a school, church, and meeting place. In July 1877, they built Fort Utah with adobe bricks.
Jones’ invitation to the natives (Papago Tribe) to live with them became a contributing factor that caused half of the colony to leave. Those who left had brought more of the livestock, which they took with them to St. David, near Mexico. The Lehi group that was left was especially small and poor; it had a difficult time surviving. A flood in Lehi in 1891 destroyed Fort Utah and carried away acres of valuable farmland in low-lying areas. Because Lehi was prone to flooding, had a more limited land area and fewer irrigation ditches, Mesa outgrew Lehi. When the railroad was placed in Mesa about 1895, the growth pattern accelerated. Lehi became part of Mesa in 1970.
The Colonia Juarez, Mexico Experience
In 1901 Henry and Erminnie move to Mexico. LDS church records show that Henry transfers into the Colonia Juarez LDS ward from Dublan LDS ward that year. The Dublan ward is in the city of Nuevo Casa Grande. the Colonia Juarez ward is about 15 miles from Nuevo Casa Grande, Mexico.

In 1902 Henry moves back to Lehi, Arizona leaving Erminnie behind in Colonia Juarez Mexico. Over the next few years the only records are property transfers as follows:
On 28 1902, Cynthia E. Harrop and husband sell deed for 223/4 acres land for $575.00 (Arizona Republic)
On 24 December, 1903, H. Harrop and wife to Edward Jones, deed 5 acres located in Lehi Maricopa county, Arizona.(Probate section, Arizona Republic).  Parcels of land sold by Henry Harrop and Ermminie between 1901 and 1903 were located in the north part of Mesa just south of today’s highway 202 between North Mesa Drive and North Gilbert Road.

Henry does make periodic visits to Mexico to see Erminnie up until December of 1905 when Erminnie dies in Colonia Juarez and is buried there.

On 16 January, 1916, Henry receives a US Government land patent for property in Chandler, Maricopa, Arizona. This 80 homestead property was located on the South side of Chandler, Arizona, in today’s term, just off South Arizona Ave. between East Riggs Road and Hunt Way.

29 November 1918 Henry dies of unknown causes (Death Certificate). This is during the time of the great flu epidemic.He is buried in the Old Phoenix Arizona Cemetery.

A Petition, dated 3 March 1920, is entered for distribution in Superior Court
Henrys estate is probated on 15 March 1920.The land and assets are distributed equally among the children from his first marriage, less attorneys fees.